The relationship between mother and daughter is unique and unbreakable, and our famous fashion designer Robert Sever has dedicated his new fashion campaign for the winter 2020 to this. He found his main inspiration from the beginning of his creation of fashion in women, and turning to the topic of parent-child relationships, this winter reminded us of one of his old collections that was a wonderful homage to his own mother Maria.
Robert Sever revealed who are the heroes of his latest campaign, what mothers and daughters are about, what the new RS collection for winter 2020 brings us, and how he almost looks at the turbulent and challenging year behind, and more in this pleasant conversation with the Journal. !!
- You are announcing a new campaign to present the Winter collection and it is called Women for short. Where did the inspiration come from for her and who are all the women you celebrate with this campaign as well as your creativity?
While working on the collection, I always think about who our customers are and what their needs are and how I can adapt the brand aesthetics to them in the first place.
During this time I noticed that our customers had a very wide range of years and ready-made sizes – which made me highlight this with the visuals of the new campaign.
I wanted to show you how wonderful it was for different generations to wear the RS design and highlight their personality, with the women themselves who are my infinite inspiration and the cast of the campaign. Inspiration is really a lot for me, but the basic is always – a woman.
- The fashion industry has started “accepting” “out of the box” models relatively recently, and there are definitely gold generation models. What beauty did you find in this collaboration with more mature women, how did they inspire you?
I’m happy to be one of the first to show my collections in this area to “real people”, so my first show called “Forever North” in 2001 had such a cast from around 80 different people.
It is totally natural for me to think and create this way and I have always found beauty in variety.
It is diversity that we must celebrate and respect.
- The winter collection offers us 45 new looks – who are you dreaming of in the new collection? Who are the women who are your muse and bring your design to life?
My muse is female, sometimes they can be very specific depending on the current inspiration, but in general I think the purpose of the collection is for anyone who finds themselves in it and emphasizes their personality with these clothes.
As for the campaign itself – this time I put my longtime muse and friends in front of my lens with their mothers and sisters who are models for this campaign. These are Iva and Nina Marušić, Ana, Tajana, Sara and Iva Stanković, Matja and Tia Čičak and Kristina, Zara and Haya Bangoura.
The shared life of mother and daughter is the main inspiration for this campaign.
- Which clothing models are represented in the collection? Which materials did you prefer in your latest fashion story?
The collection, as always, is extremely wearable with an accent designer stamp.
Inspiration for this time of year is always somehow more personal to me, so the combined influences of grunge, Russian folklore, wild west, Victorian details, but all pulled from the recognizable RS prism.
As in all seasons, we have a wide range of denim products ranging from lace detailed fluttery shirts, hand-knit and embroidered news, brocade coats / coats and wool and bouclé coats.
- The world of Robert Sever wouldn’t be complete without stunning fashion accessories – what have you prepared for us this time?
It is always important to us to show the complete visuals, so this season the jewelry and crowns were made by Slobodan Velicki with some exclusive hand knitted details by Vlatka Hlišć. The emphasis is on necklaces and earrings inspired by rock and Russian folklore.
- Creating in the age of COVID – maybe a little strange but still inevitable issue – how did you adapt to this “new normal” in your work? As a local designer, how has the current situation affected your work?
While working in the workshop, we adhere to all recommended measures and take this as the new normal.
Fortunately, we have a large number of loyal customers who support our work during the lockdown period to keep more production going. We must certainly be aware that the economy is reflected on all levels, especially this one that concerns domestic fashion production, which is still on trembling feet.
- How do you see the future of fashion? Are we moving towards a new fashion paradigm, or are we at a crossroads where few will remain the same?
I try to live and create every day. I believe that change is necessary and it is time for local media, portals and customers to return to domestic production – because we strictly comply with world parameters. This orientation is extremely important, which will help many brands and at the same time strengthen the entire production.
Photos and style – Robert Sever
Assistant stylist – Iva Marušić
Makeup – Marko Tolić, Nika Žlof and Romana Nikšić
Hair – House Brushes
Organization – Slobodan Velicki
Models – Iva and Nina Marušić, Ana, Tajana, Sara and Iva Stanković, Matja and Tia Čičak, Kristina, Zara and Haya Bangour